Beyond the Hurt: Preventing Bullying and Harassment
The purpose of the Beyond the Hurt course is to equip learners with the understanding and tools to effectively prevent and respond to bullying and harassing incidents in schools, organizations and the community.
Who Should Take the Course?
Educators, health professionals, community workers, parents, caregivers and other adults who work with or care for children and youth.
Upon completion of the Beyond the Hurt course, participants will be able to define and understand the different types of bullying and harassment and their effects, identify the frameworks for protection, more comfortably and confidently handle disclosures and complaints, and take steps to manage risk and prevent violence by building a safer environment.
This course is presented in five modules:
- Introduction – violence, the misuse of power, and the benefits and challenges of bullying prevention
- Bullying – types, participants, aggressive tactics, effects and signs
- Harassment – types (including discrimination as well as personal, sexual and criminal harassment), harassment of youth who identify as LGBTQ, effects and signs
- Intervention – the conventions, protocols, legislation, criminal codes, and organizational policies that help create protection in your setting, as well as how to handle disclosures and respond to complaints
- Risk Management – managing risk, preventing violence, and creating safety for children and youth, including through organizational policies
The Beyond the Hurt manual is provided as a PDF download (included in course fee).
Five brief Knowledge Assessment Tests help you assess your learning as you progress through the course. Upon successfully completing all modules, there is a printable certificate for your records.
This online course is self-paced. Participants may leave the course at anytime and can resume where they left off. The duration will depend on the individual participant and their prior knowledge of the subject matter. On average, the course will take about 4 hours to complete.
Due to the nature of the program, candidates under the age of 18 need adult support to take this course.